Why Do So Many Programmers Lose Hope?
In the first decade of my career, I would get angry at everyone around me and turned to the Internet to vent my frustration.
It seemed like managers and other people who didn’t understand software development had caused me to lose hope in my future.
In this episode, I share what caused me to lose hope, and many programmers I run across struggle with these symptoms as well.
If you’re a programmer who has turned to escapism and joining the chorus of complainers – I implore you to reconsider!
Skip To Points In The Video
What causes us to lose hope?
- We’re Forced to Cut Corners (3:00)
- Cognitive Overload (4:33)
- Low Perception of Value (5:17)
- High Income Forces Deeper Goals (6:50)
- Learned Helplessness (8:31)
How can you get your hope back?
- Say No With Grace (10:38)
- Communicate Uncertainty (12:45)
- Ask for Help Earlier (15:28)
- Develop Empathy (16:48)
- Surround Yourself with Positive Devs (18:24)
- Programming Estimation – Estimate Software Tasks With Caution
- Say NO on a Software Project – So They Will Listen!